One week from today will mark six months of detention in Iran for my friends Sarah and Shane, and their friend Josh. Their families are requesting folks upload videos with messages for the hikers and calls for their release. Post them as a response to the video below.
Here is mine. Nothing fancy required.
Here is a list of "Ten Things You Can Do in 2010 to FREE THE HIKERS."
10. Organize a fun cultural event to raise awareness and funds for the Free the Hikers campaign.
9. Sign the petition to Free the Hikers and get 10 friends to do the same.
8. Join the Google Group, the Facebook Fan Page, and follow us on Twitter.
7. Get a Free the Hikers sweatshirt for the winter.
6. Write a letter to your local paper or write a blog post calling for the immediate release of the hikers.
5. Have your school or professional organization pass a resolution or issue a statement calling for the Hikers’ immediate release and share that resolution or statement with a comparable institution in Iran .
4. Write to the Head of the Iranian Judiciary asking that Shane, Sarah and Josh be released on humanitarian grounds without further delay (please keep these letters apolitical).
Head of the Judiciary
His Excellency Ayatollah Sadegh Ardeshir Larijani
Howzeh Riyasat-e Qoveh Qazaiyeh / Office of the Head of the Judiciary
Pasteur St., Vali Asr Ave., south of Serah-e Jomhouri
Islamic Republic of Iran
3. Write to government officials from your country asking them to do everything within their power to seek Shane, Sarah and Josh’s release and reunite them with their families and friends.
2. Let the hikers know they are not forgotten by writing to them at this address:
Free the Hikers
PO Box 15065
Duluth, MN 55815
1. Keep Shane, Sarah and Josh in your thoughts and prayers. Send them strength, good energy and best wishes to endure their extended detention by taking moments out of your daily life to light a candle and to go on a solidarity hike with your friends.